The Laguna property management team are getting numerous enquiries from landlords and tenants regarding the “New Minimum Housing Standards” that came into effect for new tenancies and renewed tenancies from the 1st of September 2023. For all other tenancies the standards are applicable from the 1st of September 2024.
The implementation of the “New Minimum Housing Standards” have meant that some landlords have needed to spend money and time ensuring their properties are compliant. This expense has been well received from our landlords as they understand the importance of keeping their rental properties safe, secure, and reasonably functional.
Below is an overview of the New Minimum Housing Standards that landlords must adhere to:
Safety and Security
· The property is weatherproof and structurally sound.
· The property must be in good repair with fixtures and fittings not likely to cause harm through normal use.
· Have functioning locks on all external doors and windows that can be reached from the outside.
· Be free from vermin, damp and mould.
· Have privacy coverings for windows in all rooms where the tenant could reasonably expect privacy.
· Have adequate plumbing and drainage for the number of people occupying the premises.
· Be connected to a water supply service that supplies hot and cold water suitable for drinking.
· Provide privacy in bathroom areas.
· Have toilets that are flushable, refillable, and connected to a sewer, septic tank, or other waste disposal system.
· Have a functioning cooktop in a kitchen, if provided.
· Adequate tap and plumbing fixtures in a laundry, if provided.
Any failure by the landlord to comply with the minimum housing standards can result in potential legal litigation from the tenant.
Throughout the tenancy the tenant is responsible for ensuring the rental is clean and in good condition. If the tenants action causes the property to fail the minimum housing standards, then the tenant may have to pay for the necessary repairs.
The Laguna property management team have worked hard over the last few months to ensure all properties are compliant. Experts in property management our team take the pressure off our owners by overseeing all the necessary repairs and maintenance requirements.
If you are looking for a property management team that understands legislation requirements, then consider the team at Laguna Real Estate located in Noosa Heads and Gympie. Call 5447 3999 for a friendly chat to discuss your property today.